This course comprises six modules and is delivered over six weeks. Each module features self-study materials, interactive activities such as quizzes, multimedia presentations, short video and audio recordings, and peer critiques, as well as facilitated, live online sessions. The weekly, live, online sessions provide an opportunity to apply the content to practical and authentic examples drawn from the workplace, with the course culminating in an industry-led expression session.
The six modules are:
1. Theories of instruction
- Begin with the development of the field of learning and instructional design, including some well-known theories to create learning environments:- Conditions Based Theory, Bloom’s taxonomies and Human Performance Technologies.
2. Models of instruction (part 1)
- Take a deep dive into general models of learning and instructional design such as ADDIE, UBD and UDL, to gain an understanding of how they might be applied to your current or future work as a learning designer.
3. Models of instruction (part 2)
- Explore different ideas and models of instruction that try to make use of technology enhanced learning. Topics include blended learning, online learning and HyFlex models of course design.
4. Design Thinking
- Examine the developing field of Design Thinking and understand the benefits of applying its principles to education and training.
5. Learner centred design
- Undertake a focused assessment of learner experience design and the interrelationships with user centred design, user experience design and user interaction design.
6. Design: expression session
- In the final module, you will have an opportunity to undertake a practical workshop with an industry expert where you design and develop learning experiences.
This microcredential includes weekly, live, optional online sessions facilitated by an expert UTS academic, supporting self-study and online learning activities. The live sessions focus on applying the course content to practical and authentic examples drawn from the workplace. Regular formative quizzes throughout the course allow participants to track their progress.